Relieve your neck pain and improve the mobility of your neck and spine with cervical adjustments
The neck is also referred to as the cervical spine, which begins at the base of the skull and contains seven small vertebrae. It is the most delicate part of the spine, housing the spinal cord, supporting the head, and regulating all blood flow to the brain. The neck can be very susceptible to injury because any activities that involve repetitive movement, a fall, car accident, or even sitting for a long period of time can affect cervical biomechanics. Neck pain can be caused by many different things and can impede your day to day activities. Neck pain that develops slowly over the years and occurs following certain activities is frequently caused by cervical foraminal stenosis.
Chiropractic care for neck pain is a very effective solution. Before a chiropractor treats you, they will perform a thorough exam to determine and diagnose the specific cause of your pain. Once they diagnose the specific disorder causing your pain, they will create a customized care plan with your treatment that will lead you on the path to being pain-free.
All About Chiropractic Care for Neck Pain
The neck is made up of cervical discs, nerves, muscles, and ligaments that support the head. The cervical vertebrae are linked by facet joints that allow for a wide range of motion, but any injury or inflammation to the neck can cause neck pain that make it difficult to move your neck or head at all.
According to the National Center for Healthcare Statistics, more than 30% of the U.S adult population experiences neck pain every year. Fortunately, neck pain can be treated by a chiropractor. Below are some of the common causes of neck pain, along with some tell-tale signs that you need help.
What Causes Neck Pain?
Due to the neck's flexibility and the weight of the head, it is very vulnerable to injuries and conditions that cause pain. Common causes of neck pain include:
- Muscle Tension and Sprain - The number one cause of neck pain is poor posture. Spending countless hours hunched over your computer takes its toll on neck tissues. Other habits that put a strain on your neck include reading in bed, gritting your teeth, and sleeping in the wrong positions.
- Injuries and Accidents - The weight of the head makes the neck particularly vulnerable. A sudden jerking force can strain the neck muscles and cause stiffness. A typical example is whiplash, an injury you might get if you are involved in a car wreck. The cervical vertebrae may even fracture in severe cases involving car accidents and falls.
- Other Health Complications - Neck pain may also be a sign of an infection or disease. Neck pain is even a common symptom of a heart attack. (However, it may be accompanied by other symptoms such as jaw radiation, shortness of breath or arm radiation.) Diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, meningitis, cancer, and osteoporosis also cause neck pain.
Signs You Should See a Chiropractor for Neck Pain
Not all neck pain requires intervention. Soft tissue injuries often get better on their own. You can ease the pain at home by taking a break to allow your neck to heal. However, some cases may signify a serious problem. Here are some signs you should see a chiropractor.
- Your neck pain has persisted for more than a week.
- You rely heavily on pain medications to suppress your neck pain.
- There is sharp, sustained pain in your neck when you try to move your head.
- The pain in your neck is radiating to other parts of the body, such as your shoulders, wrists or arms.
- You suspect the pain may be due to a serious underlying condition.
Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe for Neck Pain?
Chiropractors undergo rigorous training like all other health care professionals. Thanks to modern chiropractic care technologies, chiropractic care is safer than ever. Treatments such as cervical manipulations, spinal traction and decompression are instrument-assisted, and a treatment plan is only recommended after a thorough diagnosis.
In addition to a physical exam, tests such as MRI and X-ray scans are sometimes necessary to understand the problem better. We keep our patients informed every step of the way about their options for diagnosis and treatment.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Don't let neck pain stop you from going about your everyday routine or accomplishing your goals. Our customized treatment plans will help identify the source of the pain, relieve the pain, increase your mobility, and eliminate the need for pain medications. Contact Crist Chiropractic today to set an appointment, and start your journey to relief from neck pain.