Pain and physical discomfort commonly accompany pregnancy. Unfortunately, symptoms such as low-back pain resulting from pressure on the sciatic nerve during pregnancy and other problems can grow even worse. This can lead to debilitating pain symptoms and even more dangerous trips and falls. If you need lower back pain relief during your pregnancy, Dr. Crist of Crist Chiropractic & Wellness can help.
Is Chiropractic Manipulation Safe for Pregnant Women?
Yes, provided you have permission from your physician. Unlike other kinds of pain management therapies, chiropractic provides safe, non-invasive, drug-free pain relief during pregnancy. Whether you need treatment during pregnancy or chiropractic care after childbirth, Franklin, TN’s Crist Chiropractic & Wellness can help.
Tips for a Safer, More Comfortable Pregnancy
The American Chiropractic Association recommends the following during pregnancy:
- Smart exercise — The ACA recommends gentle exercise three times per week to strengthen muscles and prevent discomfort. Low-impact workouts such as swimming, walking and stationary cycling are usually safest. If you are new to exercise, ask your physician before you begin. Pregnancy isn’t always the best time to start a new fitness regimen. Keep your heart rate below 140 beats per minute, and if you notice symptoms such as bleeding, blurred vision, nausea, swelling, heart palpitations or dizziness, stop and seek medical attention immediately.
- Comfortable shoes — Flat, comfortable shoes help correct pain-causing posture problems and improve steadiness.
- Bending the right way — Never bend at the waist to pick up a heavy object or child, as it can cause severe back pain. Instead, bend at the knees and keep your head and neck relaxed and facing forward.
- Plenty of rest — Get plenty of rest and reduce swelling around your ankles by keeping your feet elevated. Sleeping on your left side with a pillow between your knees reduces lower back pressure and flushes toxins from your body.
- Good ergonomics — Sitting at a workstation all day can cause discomfort. Keep your computer monitor at or below eye level. Keep a footrest underneath your desk and take walking breaks twice hourly to relieve physical stress.
Drug-Free Pain Management Alternatives
If you continue to suffer chronic pain despite practicing healthy habits, chiropractic care during pregnancy can help. Drug-free pain management alternatives include:
- Chiropractic manipulation — Dr. Crist can diagnose and treat imbalances that may contribute to your discomfort, both during and after pregnancy. These treatments can help you avoid painkillers and other drugs, as well as surgical intervention later.
- Nutritional advice — Crist Chiropractic & Wellness can recommend a nutritional plan that can help with feelings of nausea or extreme hunger. This may include eating several small meals, choosing high-carb and high-protein foods, and supplementing with folic acid.
- Chiropractic stretching exercises — Dr. Crist can recommend stretching exercises for your specific needs that can relieve pain and discomfort during and after pregnancy. You may also avoid muscle tension, joint problems, discomfort in the ribs and shoulders, and other common complaints.