Leading Osteoporosis Treatment in Franklin, TN
Did you know that osteoporosis affects more than the elderly? In fact, millions of Americans have osteoporosis and don’t even know it.
Osteoporosis is a chronic, progressive disease without symptoms that weakens bones and leads to life-threatening fractures. About 50 percent of women and 13 percent of men will sustain an osteoporosis-related bone break at least once. If you’re waiting for pain or swelling to indicate you need tested for osteoporosis, don’t — discomfort won’t exist before you break a bone.
The good news is that chiropractic care for osteoporosis can prevent serious health problems. Our Cool Springs, TN osteoporosis exercise and wellness program helps patients with brittle bone disease gain strength and flexibility.
Osteoporosis Causes and Treatment
The human body constantly makes new bone while breaking down old bone. Children and young adults can make and break down bone much faster than older adults. Up until your early 20s, your body created more bone mass than it broke down, leading to bone mass increases. As you age, your body loses bone mass faster and faster.
The best way to prevent osteoporosis is to create plenty of bone mass during youth by consuming bone-building nutrients such as calcium. Although taking calcium supplements somewhat helps when you’re older, your body’s ability to absorb it decreases over time. That’s why treating osteoporosis early can help your body retain the bone it needs to avoid breaks.
The American Chiropractic Association recommends several tips to keep bones strong:
- Cardiovascular exercise — Healthy adults who can exercise without restriction should plan a minimum of 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per week. Walking, swimming, cycling and racquet sports are all great ways to strengthen bones.
- Resistance training — Healthy individuals should also plan to lift weights once or twice per week. Lifting weights works muscles, and working muscles keep tendons and ligaments strong. Strong tendons and ligaments pull on bones, and that makes bones stronger. If you already have osteoporosis, consult your physician before engaging in resistance training.
- Tai chi — This ancient martial art is an effective bone strengthener for those who have severe osteoporosis.
- Calcium, magnesium and other supplements — Check with Dr. Crist to see the amount that’s right for you. If you take too much, you could develop kidney stones or other health problems.
- A diet comprised of healthy nutrients — Leafy green vegetables, fresh fruit, nuts, seeds and low-fat milk and yogurt are all good choices. Reduce your intake of baked goods and animal proteins. Avoid caffeinated and sugary beverages, and make 64 ounces of water your daily habit instead.
Osteoporosis Treatment at Crist Chiropractic
The osteoporosis wellness program at Crist Chiropractic & Wellness can give you the guidance and treatment you need to maintain bone strength and live a healthier lifestyle. Dr. Crist develops customized treatment plans for each patient that takes individual needs and preferences into account. By treating the cause instead of just the symptoms, Dr. Crist can help you enjoy a more active lifestyle.
Located near I-65 in Franklin, TN, Crist Chiropractic & Wellness accepts most insurance plans. Contact Crist Chiropractic & Wellness to schedule a consultation.